Istanbul Technical University (ITU) Housing Research and Education Center (HREC) and the Faculty of Architecture will be hosting the 6th of the biennial series of International Conferences of the Research Network “Private Urban Governance & Gated Communities” with the theme of ”Re-Interpretation /Transformation of Territorial Boundaries”. The ITU Faculty of Architecture is located in the 160 year old historical building called Taskisla in the Beyoglu district of Istanbul. The Faculty of Architecture also includes the Departments of Industrial Product Design, Interior Architecture and Landscape Architecture. It is located only a few minutes walking distance from Taksim Square (the heart of Istanbul), and is extremely close to many hotels, and transportation facilities that provide easy access to cultural and historical sites of Istanbul.More information is available at the official webpage of ITU Faculty of Architecture at mim.itu.edu.tr
The Map of Taskisla
Istanbul is readily accessible from all parts of the world; every major European airport is 2-3 hours away. There are frequent direct flights to Istanbul from most European cities.
Istanbul has two major international airports, Atatürk Airport and Sabiha Gökçen Airport. Most long-haul flights arrive at Atatürk Airport; Europeans flights might arrive at either location, depending on the operator.
The trip from the Atatürk Airport to Taskisla-Taksim takes between 35 to 75 minutes depending on traffic. A taxi from this airport to Taksim Square or the conference venue at Taskisla costs 50 TL (25 euros). Taskisla-Taksim is also easily reached from the airport by a shuttle bus called “HAVAS” which travels to Taksim Square every thirty minutes and costs 10 TL (5 euros). There is also an underground passage (15 minute walk) that connects the International Terminal with the older Domestic Terminal and also the Istanbul Metro.
The second airport, Sabiha Gökçen Airport at Kurtköy, is located at 40-45 minute drive to Taksim Square. A taxi from this airport to Taksim Square or the conference venue at Taskisla costs 75 TL (36 euros). There are also HAVAS busses that travel between Sabiha Gökcen Airport and Taksim Square every 30 minutes and cost 13 TL (6.5 euros).
Public transportation by bus is also available around the city. Tickets are required for boarding and can be purchased from the ticket sales points at the bus stations. The fare is equivalent to € 1.
Round-the-clock taxi service is available in the city. Taxis operate by meter. The cost begins at 1.20 euros with the addition of 1 euro per kilometer.
You can learn more about transportation at istanbul-ulasim.com.tr/en and havas.com.tr/en
History of Taskisla
Taskisla building was constructed all in structural masonry between 1848 and 1853 as a military medical academy for the Ottoman Army under the rule of Sultan Abdülmecid. However during construction, the plans drawn by W. James Smith were modified and the building’s function was changed to military barracks in 1849. This modification was part of a construction plan that included several arsenals and military barracks that were to ensure the safety of the imperial domain around the Dolmabahce Palace. The building sustained some damage in the earthquake of 10 July 1894, and was restored by the architect Raimondo D’Aronco. In 1909, rebellious troops were based in the building, thus it became the scene of long fighting. Some results are visible in the façade, as a few of the gun shells are still embedded in the stone columns of the entrance. In 1944 the building was handed over to I.T.U. and restored by architects Paul Bonatz and Emin Onat. Teaching started in the building in 1950, with the civil engineering and architecture faculties. In 1983 it was classified as a first degree historical monument. In 1996 the World Habitat Congress was organized partly in the Faculty. Ever since, it has become a natural part of the congress valley of Istanbul. The plan scheme of Taskisla is classical: four equal sides marked with four corner edifices and a vast courtyard. The west façade is crowned with a monumental entrance.